Engine Problems

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Engine Problems
From: "S.W. Cox CMP Staff" <mit-eddie!sys.uea.ac.uk!swc@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 16:01:08 BST
Hi, I've got a problem with my Triumph Herald's engine (much the same
to a Spitfire's to all you Americans) and I was wondering if anyone
could shed some light on it - I won't have anytime to work on it until
the weekend so if you know what's wrong it'll save me a lot of time
fiddling about finding what it is.

I've recently put some rebuilt Spitfire twin-SU's on the machine and
set all the clearances and timing but a misfire problem has started up,
about a month or so later.

Half the time it runs OK, for much of the other there is an occational
misfire at high revs when it is warm - fine with the choke out. Once
in a while, though, the misfire is constant - either warm or cold.

It's this intermittent bit that puzzles me, otherwise is sounds much
like a carb tuning prob.

Cheers.

    __     __
   ||| \_/ |||           Steve Cox