re: help on TR4

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: re: help on TR4
From: Kevin Spooner <mit-eddie!hpfcmws.fc.hp.com!britcars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 15:19:23 mdt
Tom,
Sounds like you have a starter that is stuck.  Several things can be
attempted.
First put the car in third or fourth gear and push it gently to turn over the
engine a few times (MAKE SURE THE IGNITION IS OFF!). then try the starter again
if the results are the same try a jumper cable from the started to the battery
connect the starter end first. (MAKE SURE CAR IS OUT OF GEAR!) If this works
you have a bad wire or solinoid. You may also have a bad ignition switch.
If the starter does not turn over when directly wired to the battery you
have a bad starter.  If the starter motor is working the diagnosis gets
more interesting.  Find the wire that triggers the started solinoid
(If I recall it is the red and White wire attached to the solinoid) and
disconnect it. now jump from that connection on the solinoid to the
battery (CAR OUT OF GEAR) if the starter spins you have a bad ignition
switch of wire to and from the ignition switch.  If the solinoid clicks
but the starter does not go then you have a bad wire from the solinoid
to the started.  Based on your description of the problem I would say
that it is the starter.  It is either shorted or jamed.
If all else failes just send me $100 and I fly out and remove the car
for you.
Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley
Specializing in British Classics