re: RSpit. Chamber compensators?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: re: RSpit. Chamber compensators?
From: mark thompson <mit-eddie!hpiaclh.hp.com!markt@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 90 13:44:48 PDT

> Mark Thompson asks about improvements to pre-1500 Spitfires.
> Certainly a camber compensator for those Spitfires with
> swing axels is going to help.  In many places (well at least
> when I ran auto-x on Long Island, NY in the 1970s) a camber
> compensator was REQUIRED on swing axel cars to avoid the
> severe wheel tuck that otherwise occurs in the sharp type
> of turns encountered in auto-x.
I have only heard that these could be used. Could you describe what they
are how they work, are installed.

> As for other things, there is a world of improvement things you can
> do, but Mark needs to be a bit more specific in what his goals are
> for the car.  eg. handling, power, appearance, maintainability, etc.
Mostly, I want to make the car safe in normal agressive hill driving.  I
don't do auto-x or any type of racing.  Everything on the car is stock and
I would like to keep that look.  Maintainability is not that important. I
can get under the car once a month and tweek.  This car is not in constant
use so maintance is not a real issue.  What I am looking for here is the
alternatives available to calm the erratic behavior of the rear-end.
--
Mark