Re: Moving cars, addiction, oil pressure

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Moving cars, addiction, oil pressure
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 15:33:30 EST
>under pressure into holes that lead to the adjacent rod bearing.  Here's one
>of the parts that I'm not sure about, are the connecting rods hollow, with
>oil flowing up them to oil the wrist pin, or does the wrist pin depend on
>splash lubrication?

        Usually there is a small hole in the big end of the con-rod, which
causes a spray of oil to spray towards the cylinder and (maybe) the wristpin.
I don't think most (or maybe any) cars have forced lubrication at the
wristpin.  This hole and spray is what lubricates the cylinders.

>The pump itself seems incredibly reliable (I've never know anyone who had an
>oil pump fail), so really isn't a usual cause of low oil pressure (especially
>since bearings are supposed to increase clearances as the engine accumulates
>miles).

        However they can wear enough that the volume they can deliver (and
thus the pressure, especially in engines with looser bearing) will be
reduced.  Also remember they run in unfiltered oil.  For these reasons, it's
not unusual to replace them in rebuilds.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"