Ho-ho-ho

To: hoosier!sol@cs
Subject: Ho-ho-ho
From: mit-eddie!p42.f4.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG!George.Emery@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (George Emery)
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 89 09:29:10 PST
Christmas day and what happens?  The driveline on the GT-6 parts company
two blocks from home.  Since I haven't yet got the car home and examined,
I can only make an educated guess as to the broken part.

Found on the street was a chunk of a mounting plate which had broken
free.  Since it had traces of red paint, I presume it's from the main
driveshaft, not either of the two axle stubs or the differential.

The cup for the u-joint bearings is cracked.  The chunk of mounting plate
shows stress on one side and a quick fracture on the other side.  So,
thinking a bit, I'd guess that the cup cracked first, seized the bearings,
and the rest followed?

Well, I've got a spare car for parts, so guess what will be going on in
George's garage tomorrow...
--
George Emery - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
            UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!4.42!George.Emery