Re: air compressor

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air compressor
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:44:37 -0400
At 04:48 PM 9/23/03 -0700, sharon isaacks wrote:
>Hey guys,
>
>I am contemplating changing out the vacuum pump on #2346.
>
>I understand there is a compressor that can be usedCan it be mounted under
the hood and do you need a pressure shutoff or exactly how would you go
about converting from the vacuum pump

Bill,

Yes, there are many electric compressors that can be used.  All the vendors
have them,  or they can be purchased from places like Grangers.  They are
different prices depending on where you get them from.  Basically about $150
to about $300.

Several people have used other compressors like ones avalible from JC Whitney.
However, the JC Whitney doesn't hold up very well.

Most of the compressors come with the pressure switch to automatically turn
the compressor on and off.

As to converting from the Vac. to the electric, simply disconnect the VAC.
one and plug the vac line (or takeoff from the manifold) to the vac.
compressor.  Mount the electric compressor on the front cross member behind
the bumper.  Add in a piece of hose from the compressor to the hose from
the old vac. comp. and you have it, with the exception of wiring.

There are 2 schools of thought on the wiring.  One is to wire the compressor
directly to +12 (like at the starter solenoid) via a fuse and a master
on/off control switch so the compressor is always hot (unless the master
switch is
truned off - like for long term storage).  The other school is to wire it
(to the solenoid) via a fuse and a relay. The relay can be controlled by a
switched 12V line so that the compressor is only energized when the ign.
switch is on.
A bypass switch is installed so that if you doors don't open and you can't
get to the ign. switch, you turn the bypass switch on and it will energize
the relay.

We've done several article about this in the magazine.

Hope this helps.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair1948@cox.net
1133 Chatmoss Dr.

Bricklin International VP Publications
Editor/Publisher The Brickline
Quarterly Magazine of Bricklin International

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                      65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org