Power Steering Overheating - Solved

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Power Steering Overheating - Solved
From: Maycinc@cs.com
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 00:39:05 EDT
I finally found the cause of my power steering overheating.  It was a broken
spring in the preasure relief valve in the pump.  This kept the valve open
which, if I understand Terry Tanner correctly, allowed the fluid to flow too
fast which caused it to cavitate and overheat.

Anyway, I got a new pump and now things are fine.  The pump is an Eaton
20-6049.  I just told the parts store I needed a pump for a 64 (that's 64 not
74) Thunderbird with a rear mount.  It doesn't come with the fitting for the
feeder hose from the tank so if you don't have an old pump to take it off of
you may have a problem.
Marvin