Re: sv1

To: "bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: sv1
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@mnsi.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:23:28 -0400
The Bricklin is a great car IF and that's a BIG IF you are handy and can do
your own repairs. the cars are getting up there in age and small things are
always going wrong, not much major just allot of annoying little things like
water leaks, overheating, poor a/c...... the list goes on and on. Don't get me
wrong these cars are a real head turner and a blast to drive, but they take
work. If you are not able to tinker with the car and can't afford an 'on
staff' mechanic, these are not for you. if you want a dependable daily driver
go buy a new SUV, if you want to have some fun, jump on in.
 The cars do have several faults, none of them cheap! first they all, well
almost all, leak water around the doors. the 74's are particularly bad for
this, it can be repaired but it takes time and effort(as well as some
bucks).there are some rust issues when looking at cars, the first area to
check is the plenum area under the cowl, water tends to collect and rot the
plenum, repairable in most instances but not usually cheap, the second are to
check for rust is the frame, particularly in the rear where the suspension
mounts ( all points) and where the front shock towers meet the frame.
 the next issue is the body, the acrylic tends to crack warp split.... with
age. this is not a big problem if you don't mind a painted car. If the car you
are looking at are painted, pay close attention and if there are a bunch of
little hairline cracks are general hazing the body will more than likely have
to be replaced. Most replacement parts are available, some reasonably priced
some very expensive, interior parts tend to be pricey as they are hard to come
by.
 I won't get into price and value as that is very subjective and a 'good' deal
to one man is not always a deal in someone else's eye.
I do have several NOS part available and have a list posted at
www.mnsi/net~htc/partslist.htm
I hopes this helps in your decision, if you have any more questions fell free
to ask.
Rick, 0539, 2028,2884

  Hi do you like the bricklin? I might buy 3 for 11k US$ 2 74's and 1 75'
wreck for parts. is there any Difficulties and "Cheap faults" in the Car? Is
there anything you can say about it? Good Bad Please give me your opinion.