Re: Questions

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:07:23 -0500
> Why was the change from the '74 AMC 4-speed to the '75 Ford automatic
> version?  Can someone answer or tell me where to look for the
> information?  Is there a generally acknowledged preference or is it just
> personal taste?  Are the early VINs equal to the later or is it the
> reverse?

As I heard the story, emissions laws went into effect in 1975, and the 360
required a catalytic converter in order to meet these laws.  There was some
fear at the time about the effects the high temps of these converters would
have on the largely fiberglass undercarriage. Therefore,  351W was chosen.
Ironically, the last few cars, the 76s, came with a single exhaust and a
catalytic converter.  I guess they figured it out by then.  The bhp of the
74s (225) mean a much more powerful stock set up than the 75s (175).
However, the 75s are much easier to modify and maintain.  I don't think
there was a great deal of difference between mpg with either stock set up.
    Of course, there may have been other factors involved, namely
availability, $$$, etc., in the changeover.  Stories abound about this car.
As for preference, 4sp cars are a greater rarity and therefore coveted by
some, but may not be a "general preference".  It is a heavy, heavy car.
These are only available with the 74s.   As for your question about vin #s,
I'm not sure what you are asking.  The Bricklin International Club's website
is a great source of info, at least for starters. This mailing list is a
source of both great and dubious information.  From there, a subscription to
the club's publication is a very wise choice.
    Finally, Terry Tanner in Va, and Bob Hoffman in MI, both of them
ex-employees of Bricklin, and current Bricklin restorers and parts
suppliers, can also provide plenty of information about Bricklin.  Perhaps
more than you'll ever want to know.   Have you been enlightened?

stephan  #2821