RE: Other Gullwing Doors

To: "Ken Thompson" <kthompson@totalaccess.net>,
Subject: RE: Other Gullwing Doors
From: "Brandon" <bsmoody@kih.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 13:42:22 -0400
>     With all the problems associated with B doors, I have to ask what did
> the Mercedes 300SL use, and also the following DeLorean? Where they as
> troublesome?

I own a couple of Deloreans and believe me the Delorean is a far superior
design.  Of course,  its solid stainless steel throughout, so forget about
rust.  Its a much stronger door, very little flex if any.  They are
counter-balanced
with stainless steel torsion bars and are assisted with gas pressurized
struts.
Of course, the struts do need replacing from time to time.  In some rare
instances,
the torsion bars need to be adjusted.  Not a technically complicated
process, but
does require a good bit of time / tools/ and nerves of steel due to the
incredible
stored energy of the t-bars.   Also, the Delorean doors have a very good
seal.  Its a
double seal like the Bricklin but between the inner and outer seal is a deep
rain
gutter that channels rain water down to the ground.   When it comes to the
inside of
a Delorean door, its a different story.  Inside of that door, they managed
squeeze in Power locks / power windows / power mirrors / dual latches / lots
of
lights / wires / and switches / and even a side impact beam.  So, getting
all of that
adjusted and working together can be a nightmare.

Anyway,  I love the Bricklin and the Delorean Both.  I'm currently
rebuilding a Bricklin
from the Frame up.  Hopefully have it finished this time next year.  I'm
trying to get
a group of Delorean owners together in my club to come up to the Event in
Cleveland this
year.

-Brandon

///