Re: sandblasting

To: "bricklin" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: sandblasting
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 04:28:34 -0400
Unless you have lots of time to spare, this is job best left to a pro. To do
the job quickly and efficently, you will need a 10 HP compressor (minimum)
and a pressureized blast pot. You can do the job with a 2 or 3 horse
compressor but it will take several (many) hours and the job will only be a
fraction of the quality of he pro's.  The sand should be as fine as you can
find, the courser the sand, the depper the pit it leaves in the metal. The
finer the sand the slower it cleans, but it does less damage to the metal.
There is some give and take here were you have to give up speed for less
damage or give up texture for speed. The nozzle size is a funtion of the
compressor, the bigger the compressor, the bigger the nozzle you can use and
thus the faster the work goes. I use a 3/8 nozzle with 100 grit sand, but I
have a 60 HP compressor. To do the complete frame and fender wells you will
probably need 2-3 hundered pounds (4-6 bags) of sand.
 Soda is not a good choise here as it does not remove rust, just paint.
A good alternative is to have the frame 'pickled'. To do this the frame is
soaked in a vat of acid, then rinced and neutralized. this cleans the frame
not only outside but inside as well (if there are holes for the acid to get
in). If this is done by a pro shop, there is no extra damage done and only
the rust is removed. We have this process done every day for used parts that
come through our shop. I don't know if there is a shop in your area but
check the yellow pages.
Hope this helps
RIck

sandblasting ? I never did this and my goal is to
> do fender well and the frame...Will go and rent one please tell me what
> would I need to do this step...What pressure should the compressor be
> and what grid of sand would I need and how much I need...and what size
> of tip I need for sandblaster...Thank in advance..Serge

///
///