Re: Wheel backspacing

To: "bricklin" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel backspacing
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 04:53:59 -0400
> I found some wheels I like, but the backspacing is 4" instead of 3.5". Is
 > The other dimensions are fine - 15" x 7" with 0 offset and 4x4.5 lug
spacing.

If the wheel is 15X7 with 0 offset the  backspace has to be 3.5- 3.75
(allowing for the thickness of a cast wheel) If the wheel has a 4"backspace
it is either 1/2" thick or 1/2" offset.
The wheel better have 5 on 4.5 bolt circle not 4.
 If you really like the wheel it should be OK, but close, I have 8" wheels
on one of the cars I bought (4" back space) and it clears but just barely. I
haven't driven this car but the tire tread is worn and the sidewalls show no
sign of scuffing. with the 8" wheel the tires do stick out of the wheel
wells just a little. Due to manufacturing tolerances being what they are
check the wheel tire combo on the car before you buy them.

///
///