Re: More on wheels and tires, and the morons who mount them.

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More on wheels and tires, and the morons who mount them.
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:46:27 -0400
Scott, if you get a standard 7", try a 3.5" backset, this is a 0 offset.
But beware EACH wheel and tire combination has its own characteristics and
fitting them on a car and setting it down, and turning the steering wheel is
the BEST way to go to be sure.  Tirerack will not allow you to do this, that
is, once a tire is mounted on a wheel it is yours.   Here's a pic of one
wheel I thought looked good for the B and is available at 15x7 with a 3.5"
backset.  Pretty cheap too on the Internet, but again, you lose the ability
to check fitment.   The Centerline forged comes in a lot of styles and sizes
and since this is a top of the line for them, it is not a bad wheel at all,
and even at full retail, it's not too pricey.

http://www.centerlinewheels.com/w_catalog/57.jpg

As for the stock wheels, while Terry deserves to be listened to on many B
matters, and paints a doomsday picture of them,  the design appears to be
relatively good and hefty, and stories of these wheels coming apart are hard
to find.  But they are far from true to round.  Many a good high performance
wheel are cast, with the exception of the higher end billet and high end
forged stuff.   Many wheels regardless of material or manufacture suffer
from some degree of runout, you often get what you pay for.  On fussy
suspensions, light cars, or speeds over 75mph this is noticeable.
    However, tires are no different.  Most, if not all tires are not perfect
either, that's why the dot indicators on the sidewall.  These should be used
when mounting on the wheel, but most discount places and tire shops pay
little attention to them.  Most wheels also come with a dot on the inside of
the rim to be used in conjunction with the tire dot(should be 90 deg
opposite if memory serves me correctly, help me here).  These rules are
rarely followed, as are the tightening specs, which for alum wheels are
critical, yet time after time, you will see them use an impact wrench to
tighten the lugs, and in no particular order.  This practice will screw you
up no matter what the tire and wheel is.
    Finally, as the story goes, the outfit Terry used to get them corrected
sent back two of a bunch truer and said they were not able to get the others
right, "don't call us again".  The outfit in PA,

http://www.wheelcollision.com/

says they will check to see how well they can do BEFORE giving you a price.
Sounds reasonable but uncertain.

Good luck,
stephan #2821