Re: Vacuum Compressor

To: Maycinc@cs.com
Subject: Re: Vacuum Compressor
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 20:36:53 -0400
At 11:00 AM 4/9/01 EDT, Maycinc@cs.com wrote:
>Does anyone know how I can test the vacuum compressor?  I want to hook mine
>up to take the load off the electric one but don't know if it works.   I've
>heard that they can be rebuilt, does anyone have a parts source?

Marvin,

  I didn't see anyone answer your questions.  The only way I know of test
the compressor is to put a pressure guage in the line somewhere.  Then
run the car and see what the guage reads.  Then let the car sit for several
hours, and see what the guages reads.  If it takes the system up to about
115 to 125 psi then it's working.  If the air bleeds out after several hours
to a day, you have a leak in the lines, or back through the compressor.  You
can install a check valve from the compressor and try the test again.

  Yes there were rebuild kits as of 4 months ago.  I just had 2 units rebuilt.
It runs $40 for a rebuild.  Hadley will do it if they still have the kits.
I called them before I sent mine off.

>From the parts xref on BI's web page:

Compressor for air door system
   Vaccumn operated     No Longer Available  - vacuum pumps were made by
Hadley
                        Products, 2851 Prarie Street, Grandville, Michigan
                        49418 (800-968-4781, or 616-530-1717). Their model
                        number 841 They will still rebuilt vac. compressors
                        until they run out of parts.

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

///