HELP!!

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP!!
From: "Alan Coleman" <colemaal@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 14:14:39
Although it does not concern my Bricklin, I have a problem with my
daughter's car (1990 Taurus 3L) that I need some help diagnosing.
Unfortunately she is 425 miles away at college (Wilmington, NC)  and I cant
just run down there to check it out. The problem is a completely dead
battery. Last summer, she had problems and I had a friend of hers replace
the battery, alternator, and voltage regulator.

Last week,  the battery was completely dead. After AAA came out and jump
started it, she took it back to where she had purchased the alternator
(lifetime warranty) and had them test the car. The guy there said that
because the tester showed a high amperage output it was the battery.  She
took the battery back to where it had been purchased and exchanged it for a
new one. Still, after putting in the new battery, she was having problems.
At idle the car had a tendency to stall. As rpms increased, lights would get
brighter, then dim as they decreased. One week later, the battery is flat
dead again. To me, it sounds like a problem with the alternator diodes. I
think that the amperage output during the test was due to  the low charge
condition of the battery.

Now, she has to get it back up to the Auto Zone so they can test the system
again. Any other opinions on what might be causing the problem would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Alan Coleman

///