FW: Horn relay cork

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Horn relay cork
From: "Mike DeLuca" <mdeluca@comtechpst.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:45:50 -0500
I finally had time to start working on 1557 and the horn crkt.
I figured it's only 12vdc and 3 wires thus having an electrical engineering
degree should
give a reasonable chance of being abler to figure out the crkt.

Here is how far I got.

The relay is under the washer bottle on the passenger side fenderwell, easy
to get to.
3 wires on it,the Lt org wire should have 12vdc on it all the time (I think
it is the center pin). A dark green wire that goes to the horns(which is
under the front drivers side fender visible from underneath the car in the
front).

The black wire is the wire going back to the horn button in the steering
wheel.

If you have the 12vdc on the lt org wire and put a jumper (you can use the
universal tool known as a paper clip for this) and jump the lt org wire to
the drk green wire the horn should work.

 to test the relay,I then put the connector back on the relay but didn't
seat it all the way down so that I had just enough of the spade connector on
the relay(on the black wire) exposed so that I could jump that point to
ground. I grounded that point and the relay clicked and the horn worked.

So the way the crkt works is when the switch in the steering wheel is
grounded, it grounds the black wire on the relay and should trigger the
relay to energize the horn.

My horn still doesn't work so next I took off the steering wheel, I think it
is a 1/8 allen but I found that a metric size Allen key fit better and will
not strip out as easy as the 1/8 would have.

The horn button is spring loaded and when depressed should make contact with
the steering column and ground the relay. the horn button is pretty hokey
and what I found was that right across the horn button it self It had 10,000
ohms or more instead of a short when pressed. The contacts looked ok but I
cleaned them up and even tried jumping the center pin of the horn directly
to ground and nothing. There is a short black wire from the horn to the
steering column that is soldered to the column, it looks like a cold solder
joint but even grounding that point didn't get the horn to work.

That's as far as I got last night thus it looks like the problem is some
where between the wire between the horn button and the relay.

So now I ask the list a question, can some one tell be where the black horn
wire brakes out of the steering column? If someone can give me an idea of
how to trace out the black horn wire in the steering colmn  that would save
me some time and agrivation.

I know I cant be the first person to be doing this based on the design of
this. I would think this is a common problem with Bricklins.

BTW a resisted the urge to change the subject to I WAS GETTING HORNEY LAST
NIGHT for this post.

Regards,

Mike D.
NY vin 1557

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]

///
///