Re: Alternator wiring....and timing

To: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Subject: Re: Alternator wiring....and timing
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:21:08 -0400
The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 #1 is drivers side front with the
drivers side the odd numbers (1357)and pass side the even(2468). Distributor
rotation is clockwise with #1 at the very front. If your car is stock try to
follow stock settings and procedures., if it is modified the best way I have
found to set timing is to rev the engine to about 4000 rpm( this gets all
the mechanical advance in) and advance the timing until the engine starts to
slow down or ping, then back up a couple of degrees. Try to start car hot
and if it tries to kick back and is hard to crank, back off a little and try
again. Road test the car and if it doesn't ping and chatter you are running
the best possible timing for your car. But if your car is stock use the
stock settings.