Heat shields

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Heat shields
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 18:22:48 -0500
I've been discussing this problem with anyone I can, looking for possible
solutions.

Several people have suggested the "survival blankets".  That is a good though.
Someone else mentioned DYNAMAT that Eastwood sells.  To do the under side
of the B.s we need about 2500 in sq.  There have been some off line comments
about it and a tar backing, fire problems and smell.  Not to mention that
we'd need about 5 sheets or $150 worth of this stuff.

One fellow at work came up with a fairly cost effective idea, I haven't tried
it yet.  But thought I'd throw it out for people that have cars on the road
to think about.  That is to get some stove/flue pipe at the hardware store,
pretty cheap, metal, thin, and easily shaped (bent).  It comes in various
dia.s and lenghts.  Cut the stove pipe in half lenght wise.  Get some
muffler clamps, and some scrap metal and fashion some "Z" brackets.  Attach
one end of the bracket to the muffler clamp via one of it's nuts, and attach
the other end to the stove pipe via a small screw and nut or pop rivet.
We now have a parabolic reflector with an air space above it.  This should
be a very effective heat reflector.

This idea has quite a bit of merrit, but I'd prefer something a little
less visable, like a reflective material that I can glue on the underside
of the xmission hump.  However, for those with the bodies on the car, and
the eng. & xmission in, it is a much easier solution.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org