Re: Local Bricklin

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Local Bricklin
From: Lbc302@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 01:48:46 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/99 12:57:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hatom@earthlink.net writes:

<< Theres an orange 75 brick for sale at a local car lot here, and (not
 having bought or owned a bricklin before) I thought Id look to this
 group for suggestions on what sort of thing I should look for in this
 car.  Questions I should ask, common problem spots, etc.  All I know so
 far is its got some 18000 miles and hes asking 10000 for it.  Any advice
 whatsoever would be appreciated.

Number 1 thing to check is for frame rot,2 see if it has air doors vs
hyrdoelectric,you will know the difference one whooshes right up in 2
seconds,the other takes forever to go up,3 Check the title make sure it does
not say salvage or "rebuilt".4 check the fit of the doors ie No huge
gaps,have the dealer spray some water on top of the closed doors and see if
water leaks in.5Check the exhaust to see if it was modified,
it should have two pipes coming from the engine going into one muffler at the
back of the car,then the muffler has short exhaust pipes coming out the back
of the car,the Bricklin has no catalytic converter.6 Check that the acrylic
doesn't have spider web type cracks all over it.7 Mechanically it is just a
ford drivetrain and that should
be just fine with 18,000 miles,but still stand behind the car when they start
it to see if it lets out blue smoke,if it does and it lasts only a few
moments,that could be valve seals/guides,not a huge problem,but something to
lower the price.8 When you go back take and look under the car where it was
parked for a while and see if you see any kind of fluid that leaked on the
ground.9 Check to make sure that the lights go up and down.10 Try to get the
previous owners name and telephone # so that you can speak to him about the
car and who was the owner before him.

Claude
vin#1024/1136