Wrapping fuel tank

To: Pugsracer@aol.com
Subject: Wrapping fuel tank
From: Stephen Cramer <philobandb@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:59:16 -0800
Pugsracer wrote:
I was interested to see your post, particularly the gas tank. Mine was
getting so hot that the tank was venting gas through the vent line to
the canister. I have adjusted the Holley floats (they were high ) but am
not sure if I solved the problem. What did you wrap the muffler with?
Pugs 756 4 spd

I purchased a product from PAW which was a 3" wide insulating
fiberglassed tape designed to wrap exhaust manifolds and lower engine
box temps.  It required the purchase of some large stainless steel
banding to act as clamps to hold the beginning and end of the wrap in
place.  The process was fairly simple and took less than an hour.  There
is no adhesive--the tape can be removed if the owner decides to do so.
It is porous--it allows moisture to escape and does not create a trap
for water.

The results were impressive. I had so much heat and vapor buildup in the
tank that when I popped the cap I swear that I was greeted by HOT
vapor.  I had visions of being rear ended and going up in a fiery,
pressurized ball of flame.  I could also smell the venting fumes from
the canister.  All of this disappeared after wrapping.

Hope it's helpful.