Re: Carburetor

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carburetor
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:49:07 EDT
I would not replace the part for no other reason if it was working ok.  If
you are looking for performance upgrade, there are plenty of Ford and AMC (I
guess that would be Daimler Chrysler now) experts who can comment on that.  I
have replaced the carbs on two of my 74's because it was either that or
rebuild the stock carburettor.  Sometimes I think it makes sense to improve
on a stock item, so I opted to replace with the Holley.  I used the 4 barrel
600 cfm Holley, vacuum secondary (1850 series) that Terry Tanner recommended,
and it was fairly inexpensive from one of the mail order places, Fast Times
Automotive in Kansas City, KS.  On the 74's there is a resin spacer
underneath that tends to crack so you might consider getting a replacement
for that at the same time.  The driveability, performance, and power are much
better.  I can't say there is much difference with the fuel mileage; it might
be slightly better as well, although I still need to locate a mechanic who
can do some finishing tuning work.  I have been dirving #670 without the
add-on choke and it starts fine in warm weather which is normally the only
time I drive it.  I saved the stock pieces of junk so the option is open to
return the car back to original if necessary.  Have fun.
George Curley (#220, 489, 670)