Re: Stereos

To: "Jonathan Garruba" <jgarru01@kepler.poly.edu>,
Subject: Re: Stereos
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 01:40:33 -0400
Your inner ear would give out first.  Very low frequencies, such as an
automobile suspension encounters,  can set up sympathetic vibrations within
the human body.  That is the reason why the seats for truck and bus drivers
are separately sprung and dampened.   Intense sound below 100 Hz could
shake your Bricklin's joints, but you'd start feeling sick as well.

Normal sound waves (including loud music) contain surprisingly little
energy.  You need to look at things like the finite amplitude waves inside
IC engines before you start seeing really high power levels.  Normal sound
seems loud because our ears are exquisitely sensitive, unless that is you
expose them to intense sounds.  If you play music loud enough to shake your
Bricklin,  you won't be hearing much of the music after a short time.  Do
it often and the result is permanent hearing loss.