Re: Could someone describe the amp meter scheme?

To: K M <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Could someone describe the amp meter scheme?
From: Steve Bepko <sbepko@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 06:51:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, K M wrote:

> I am a bit confused about the wiring of this device.  As I understand,
> to detect the flow of current the meter is wired in line.  But this and
> most all the devices that I have seen used in cars are not wired this
> way -- it would be too hard to get the huge wire under the dash!  So I
> kinda figure that there must be some induction device somewhere that
> "sends" the reading to the gauge.  Am I way off base here?  Thanks, Kim.

The way it PROBABLY works is as a voltmeter. It has some relatively small
gauge wires and measures the voltage drop across a small (say 0.05 ohms or
less, could even be some length of wire) resistor wired in series with the
battery.  If the full scale range of the ammeter was, say, 5 volts, then
the corresponding full scale amperage read on the scale would be
(5/.05)=100 amps.  I emphasize that I have not measured any of these
values, just tossing out some typical numbers.

I am Pentium of Borg, precision is futile,
you will be approximated...

     /  |  .                   sbepko@bcpl.net          . .      .      |
    /  .|                       Baltimore, MD.           .        ....o |