86 Econoline as donor vehicle

Subject: 86 Econoline as donor vehicle
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 11:08:48 -0400
Well, I called the SVO tech hotline yesterday to talk about the suitability
of my dad's 86 5.0 van, and they echoed Jamie Olenick's comments:

        1) The EFI system isn't worth it because it's speed-density and won't
be
able to work with anything other than a stock 5.0 (as opposed to a
fire-breathing 5.8)
        2) The AOD tranny, with a shift kit, should be just fine up to the
power
levels I'm shooting for (about 350 at the crank), but they recommended that
when I'm having the shift kit installed, the newer (I think it was
introduced in 89) cooling fix should be applied.

I've decided that it's not worth the hassle for just the tranny.  I think a
wrecked 89 5.0 T-bird would make a much more suitable donor since the EFI,
transmission (AOD or 5-speed), and IRS would all be there...

--
Phil Martin                             pmartin@isgtec.com
"Art disappoints me when it is too little like life,