Re: Bad gas?

To: "William H. Whitney" <bill-whitney@erols.com>, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bad gas?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 18:24:21 -0400
At 12:53 PM 5/8/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Here's another theory on the Bad Gas issue I brought up a while back.
>The car in question was stored for five years and run periodically. The
>tank was never let to get below 1/2 full and then the owner only put in
>a few gallons. So the tank was also never completely full either......

>The tank is still going to pulled and cleaned just to be safe, and the
>sending unit and tube will be replaced.....

That sounds like a smart move.  I droped the tank on my friends 74.  The
filter on the end of the pick up was so clogged it couldn't suck and
gas.  In addition the sending unit was eaten up.

>Current question is what is the manufacturer of the original gas tank on
>a 1974?

I believe that Bob Hoffman says it is a 74 Gremlin.  Looking at the AMC
tanks quickly, the all seemed to look similar.  I've pulled a couple
from AMCs we were stripping,  especially to keep the sending units.
However, I gave my friend one of these sending units to replace his
eaten up one.  He went to put it in the other day and it wouldn't fit.

If you look closely at the tank you will see a the opening for the
sending unit has 2 cutouts off set from the center line of the opening.
The sending units have little tabs that fit into these slots.  These
are apparently to keep the sending unit located when the lock ring is
installed.  Here's the rub!  Some of the sending units and tanks have
these cut outs on the left of center line, others on the right.  Besure
to check you tank and validate where these tabs are on the sending unit
before you purchase one.

I didn't realize this when I bought my new sending unit about 5 years
ago.  It is in a box someplace so I can't check it.  But I may be sitting
of a brand new unusable sending unit.

About the only AMC product that is supported is the Javalins.  So I think
that is the sending unit I ordered.  But like I said, I'm not sure that
it will work.

John

 there

 I suspect it's a
>Javelin but am not sure. This will help determine the proper sending
>unit and tube to get. Also is there anything I should know about
>dismounting the tank? I don't have a copy of the HTML for the tech tips
>in _Brickline_ and the web site is down. So I can't look up anything
>without going through each issue. If someone has the HTML file, could
>you please email it to me?
>
>I will let you know if the above theory is correct once I get everything
>apart.
>
>TIA... Bill.
>
>TIA... Bill.
>
>--
>William (Bill) H. Whitney, VIN #624 (& mini-B for sale for best offer)
>Owner, Micro Business Applications, dBase/Clipper/FoxPro consultant

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V