Re: Ballast Resistor

To: Godly Krew <GodlyKrew@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Ballast Resistor
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 08:05:32 -0400
At 01:22 AM 4/11/98 EDT, Godly Krew wrote:

>BTW, except when the key is off, my fasten seat belts light stays on
>all the time.  I do not recall hearing any "buzz" that reminds you to
>fasten your seat belts, but my headlamp reminder buzzes.

I'll leave this one to someone on the list that has a working car. I've
never driven mine yet.  The 74 I'm working on doesn't have the doors on
and is missing the interior.  But I have driven it around the parking
lot of my friends shop.

>Also, where in the world is my horn located?  Mine does not work...  I
>looked everywhere inside the engine compartment...

Riley,

The horns are mounted up front, either on the front of the front fender
wells or under the hood extension.  You'll probably have to come at
them from underneith unless you pull the hood extension.

The horn relay is located on the passenger front fender well under the
windshield washer bottle.  You will need to check the relay and see:

  1. one of the leads should have power to it when the ign. switch is
     in the "run" position.
  2. one of the leads should get power to it when you press the horn
     button.  (This one might be a little tricky - I'm not sure weither
     the horn is switching power or ground.)  So you might have to look
     for continuity to ground when the button is pressed.
  3. You should get power to one of the horn wires when the button is
     pressed.

There are 3 basic reasons the horns don't work:
1. They have a bad ground or the horn is burned up. The checks above
   will check OK.
2. If test 3 fails, you have a bad relay.
3. If test 2 fails, you have a problem with the horn button in the
   steering wheel.  Possibly a broken horn wire.
4. If test 1 fails, I don't know where it gets it power from.  You'll
   have to trace the wires.  There is a horn fuse.  It might be blown.

Speaking of fuses.  The Brick uses the older "round" fuses and our fuse
box is on the inside of the car.  On my older British cars, the fuse
block is in the engine compartment.  On these, it helps if you rotate
the fuses in the fuse block every so ofter (ie. 6 mo.)  The fuse block
contacts tarnish as does the ends of the fuses.  This helps keep them
the contact area clean.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V