Re: CB

To: Isensee@aol.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CB
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 09:42:56 -0400
At 09:20 PM 8/31/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I would like to install a CB radio in my Bricklin. Has anyone found a good
>way to mount an antenna. I don't want to damage the body in any way. I
>thought I could use a magnetic mount antenna on the back bumper, but it won't
>stick. I know there are boxes that let you connect a CB up to the regular
>radio antenna. Has anyone tried one of those? Can you get decent range on a
>CB with one? Does it affect AM/FM radio reception?

Scott,

   The easiest and safest way to do it would be to make a metal plate,
shape it sort-of like a "L" or "U" and mount it to the 2 upper bolts that
hold the bumper on the rear rams.  There is plenty of room to have the
metal plate come up over the rear pumper.  I'd also suggest that you use
the old tennis ball trick, punch a hole in it and slide it down the antenna
till it is even with the top of the rear panel.  This way when it sways,
the antenna won't hit the body and crack it.

  I've seen the adapters that you are talking about for amatuer radio
2 meters.  Keep in mind that an antenna for CB (27 meters) should be
about 102".  Not many car radio antennas are that long.  Therefore,
what you will has is a compermise.  Not the best for transmitting or
receiving.  However, it is an alternative.

As to the range, what do you plan on using the CB for.  Here, in town,
your lucky to get communications over about 1 mi. for all the nose and
cross talk.  However, when you get out of town your range goes up quite
a bit.

The other option if you want quieter communications is to get you ham
radio licence and get up on 2 meters.  However, I know the local AACA
club uses CBs when they are on a tour or a carivan to some place.

Hope this helps Scott.

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire