Re: Bodywork: Time vs. Money...

To: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Subject: Re: Bodywork: Time vs. Money...
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 18:49:01 -0400
At 10:46 AM 5/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>Many of the panels on my '75 have cracked acrylic, and the door panels are
>slightly warped (they've come off the door frames at the top).  At first I
>was planning to just replace most of them, but as you all know that's
>rather pricey, and I'm not convinced it's necessary.
>
>I don't want to shell out the moolah for all new 'glass panels, but I don't
>want to be left with the crack-prone acrylic either.  Is it possible to
>sand off the acrylic and be left with the underlying 'glass?  If it's
>possible, is it reasonable?  If not, then what's involved in fixing the
>cracks in the acrylic?  Is there anything I can do to keep it from cracking
>again?
>
>The key here is that although I don't really have very much time, I have
>even less money to spend on this particular hobby...  So, I'm happy to put
>a lot of hours into fixing the body, especially if it means I'll end up
>good at working with 'glass.

Phil,

   I haven't gotten to my body yet.  However, I did write up something
in the FAQ on the Bricklin Web page under TECH Centeral.

If you sand the acrylic off, you can always wipe on some fiberglass resin
to seal the fiberglass panels.  However, I haven't done this.  If Terry
or Bob Hoffman were lerking here they want to shoot me.  However, I have
a friend locally with a 74 and that's exactly what he is talking about
doing.  He doesn't have the money for a new body either.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire