[Bmcu] Duff's Eureka Gold Run

To: BMCU <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Bmcu] Duff's Eureka Gold Run
From: Eugene Jaroch <bughous@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 14:34:37 -0700
You'll need a good memory to recall the last time the club went on the Eureka
Gold Run because it was 1998!  This year we will resurrect the trip on May
15th.  You may want to bring a warm jacket for this trip because if you're
going topless (OK, I'm talking about without a convertible roof) we'll be
going over a fairly high pass (about 6,500 ft.) and it may be a little
chilly.

Eureka was originally known as Ruby Hollow before it developed into a bustling
mining town.  Incorporated as a city in 1892, Eureka became the financial
center for the Tintic Mining District, a wealthy gold and silver mining area
in Utah and Juab counties.  The district was organized in 1869 in the East
Tintic Mountains, southwest of Utah Lake.  If you would like to see some
pictures iin advance of the trip check out
http//www.ghosttowns.com/states/ut/eureka.html.

We will marshal at the Fresh Market (formally Albertsons) grocery store
parking lot on the borth west corner of 12600 South and Redwood Road in
Riverton at 10:00 AM for a 10:30 AM departure.  (This site puts us far enough
south that we won't have much difficulty with stop lights to keep everyone
together.)

We will then proceed south on Redwood Road and then on to Route 68 (Camp
Williams Road) and follow the west side of Utah Lake down to Elberta.  Then
turn right onto Route 6 over the summit and into Eureka.  This will be our
lunch stop.  The Summit Drive-In is at the top of the hill or you can bring a
picnic basket.  After lunch there is the Tintic Mining Museum (open from 10:00
to 4:00) and lots of cool old buildings to look at.  On the way out of town
there is a very old cemetery with some interesting grave stones for anyone not
afraid of ghosts.

When we get to the bottom of the hill we will make another right onto Highway
36 and go north through Rush Valley and Tooele to the Lake Point Junction.
Then it's time to say "Good Bye" and take I-80 home.  The distance start to
finish is about 127 miles and we should be done by mid afternoon.

Paul Jaroch 801.389.3940

Larry Farrington 801. 487.6005

for/Duff Lawson
Bmcu@autox.team.net