Re: noise at Monster

To: charlescox@coastalbay.com
Subject: Re: noise at Monster
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:19:11 -0700
On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 09:53:19AM -0700, charlescox@coastalbay.com wrote:
> It states "The criterion of "adequacy" is not what the exhaust
> system consists of, but he sound level." It does not state "the criterion of
> "adequate muffler" but "the criterion of adequacy".

Yes, the criterion of adequacy...of what?  The prior sentence refers
to "adequate muffler", and the title of section 3.5 is "Mufflers".
Gee, I wonder what they could be referring to!

According to your interpretation, sentence 2 directly contradicts
sentence 1.  There must be a muffler.  But what the system consists of
doesn't matter.  But there must be a muffler.  Do you really think
that the SEB meant to write a self-contradictory rule?

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94