RE: Practice Event, Oakland Coliseum, Sun Jan 29th

To: "'Smokerbros@aol.com '" <Smokerbros@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Practice Event, Oakland Coliseum, Sun Jan 29th
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:51:42 -0800
>I would like to suggest that everyone bring a stopwatch and have someone
>else time your runs.  I'd hate to see a bunch of missed times for some
>reason and people demanding reruns, slowing down the event.

????

This may be one of those things that folks understand a bit better once they
see the new system in action, but the above won't happen.

The way the new computerized timing system works in relation to the timers
is that the computer can only read the timers.  It cannot reset the timers.
And the timers (and displays, and timing heads, and timing control units)
are the exact same ones we used last year, and the year before, and the year
before, and, hell, you get the point :) .

Where folks will "see" issues at the practice event is more likely in a
"hold the start" situation to be sure that the computer is recording the
time to the correct car as it should....especially after an event that trips
the timer incorrectly (i.e. someone doesn't go thru the finish lights on a
seriously FUBARED DNF run, OR a course worker runs thru the lights)   This
is the debug part, plus reg and scanning the car/driver (scannable barcode
that'll be on either your helmet or window) before each run to put them in
the run queue on the new software will take a little getting used to.

If someone does trip a light accidently, it can be fixed on the computer end
but will require the computer operator to do some cut-n-paste.   It's easier
than it sounds.

Ed