Re: toss my M1990 helmet?

To: mwa96imp@regionofdoom.com, jcreasy@perforce.com
Subject: Re: toss my M1990 helmet?
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:12:12 EST
In a message dated 1/9/2006 9:31:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
mwa96imp@regionofdoom.com writes:

The way
I read it, you might be nutz putting your braincase in a Snell approved
helmet because it is looking for multiple impacts w/o  disentigrating.
While the helmet doesn't crack open like an egg, it  might scramble your
egg in the process.  The article has caused me to  re-think the whole
helmet picture.

That may be true, but in SCCA events, you only have a choice of Snell M, K,
or SA helmets, 95 or newer.  Take your choice.  Probably a more  beneficial
article for us would be a comparison of those standards.

I've tried to figure what type of impacts autocrossers need protection  from.
 Seems to me that the two biggest possibilities would be a rollover  and
impact with a light pole or some similar object.  I'd guess that the  first is
relatively low (single?) impact from the side and the second would  probably be
best served by whatever helmet best attaches to a HANS device.   So, I'd
think most available helmets will protect us in most of the types of  impacts
we'll see in autocrossing.

Charlie