RE: Subaru WRX camber

To: "Gary Fellers" <gary_fellers@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: Subaru WRX camber
From: "Thana, Peter" <peter.thana@roche.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:36:01 -0800
Hi Gary,

What class are you running in (stock, STX, other)?

If you are running stock, then get as much as your alignment guy can
get.  Most MacStrut cars like the WRX do not have any built in camber
adjustment, so there is only a limited amount you can get from assembly
tolerances.  Some cars have an alternate spindle/strut bolt (often
referred to as a "crash bolt") specified in the factory service manual
or by TSB, but as far as I'm aware the WRX is not one of them.  I'm not
sure if you can get much more camber than what you currently have
keeping things stock.  Probably not much more than -1 degree.

If you are running in a higher prep class such as STX, consult the
rulebook to see your options for suspension modifications.  Typically
camber adjustability can be added to a Mac Strut car via adjustable
camber plates or crash bolts or some type of alternate control arm.  Be
careful, the rules for each class specify what you can and cannot do
(for example STX allows you only one of the the above modifications).

As far as how much you need, that depends on a lot of factors.  What is
your suspension setup?  What is your balance of street/autox driving?
How much uneven tire wear are you willing to tolerate for performance or
vice versa, and how much toe are you running?  Lots of toe + camber
creates more street wear than camber alone.

I would also be wary of adding to much rear camber if you cannot match
it in front.  A car like the WRX is going to be more limited by front
grip than anything else.  Apart from that, I am not a Subaru guy so
perhaps some will chime in here.

Peter