brake rotors/pads recommendation for an Evo 8

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: brake rotors/pads recommendation for an Evo 8
From: "sarena tam" <sarena_tam@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:57:13 -0700
Hello,

My friend is looking for new brake pads and rotors for his Evo 8.
Apparently, Evo 8 owners are having this issue with their brake pads/rotors
where if they brake, their steering wheel starts to shimmy.  Anyone's first
guess would be warped rotors... but at 8k?!?  Other evo owners have
discovered that there is nothing wrong with the rotors (after the dealership
shaved them and the problem returned).  It turns out that the stock brake
pads are soft and leave a lot of dust.  Because the rotors are hot, the
brake dust gets caked onto the rotors, which cause the shimmying effect.
They have found that a few quick 70mph-10mph stops solves the problem
temporarily.

Anyway, my friend wants to get new brake pads and rotors and asked for my
advice.  Since I don't know much about Evo 8s, I decided to come here and
see if I can get any good recommendations.  He wants them mainly for every
day driving, but would like a little performance in them, just in case. ;)

I've heard that Hawk pads are good, but I've also heard owners complaining
that they squeak.  Is that true?  If so, what other pads would you guys
recommend?

How about rotors?  What kinds are there and what's the difference between
cross-drilled, slotted, 1-piece, 2-piece, etc. and which is better?

Thanks,
Sarena