Re: power drills and their "impact"

To: BayArea Autocross <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: power drills and their "impact"
From: Sterling McLane <semclane@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:25:52 -0700
Funny this discussion should be raging right now.  After years and
years of getting bye with the "Armstrong" method, the past year I
have been happily using a Mikita drill to spin the lugnuts.  Rod (my
son) has been lobbying for a Chicago Electric 19.2 volt impact wrench
from Harbor Freight for several months now, after "researching" the
matter on the Spec Miata and Improved Touring forums.  Aside from the
fact that you have to be a bit careful in putting lugnuts on so that
the final tightening is done with a torque wrench, these are supposed
to have the magical ability to get the nut off the end of the
crankshaft or the big 30mm nut off of the rear axles with ease.  I
finally caved in and bought one today at the Hayward HF store, and
ordered a set of metric impact sockets that goes up to 32mm and extra
19.2 volt battery from the HF web site (store only had SAE impact
socket sets and no extra 19.2V batteries for some reason).  Price was
about $150 for the wrench set and another $82 (+shipping) for the
sockets and battery, for those interested in that side of things.
Have no idea yet how wonderful this impact wrench is, but have a
strange feeling that I will be finding out this weekend :)

     Sterling McLane