ST2

To: "autox" <ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net>, <katiekelly@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: ST2
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:35:39 -0700
Katie said,

    Lucy my Miata needs new tires like NOW. One's corded,
    which explains the funny wopping noises. It's probably
    been corded for awhile. 'Nother story.

    What rim sizes are legal for this new ST2 or STS2
    class? Is this really going to happen?

Unless things are changing for '05 (I haven't looked) ST2 is pretty much a
direct extension of STS.  That being the case, 7.5 inches is the allowed
width, and 225 section width is the maximum tire.  I can't speak to whether
the classes are going to be a happening thing.  Some two-seat driver will have
to throw in two cents.

Funny wopping noises....  Being corded, I can relate.  Being corded for a
while, not a good thing!  Speaks to care and safety being too far down one's
list.

But _so far_, the tires to get seem to still be the Kumho and the Falken.
According to the posted National results, which state only what tire the
entrant claimed to use at the time of entry, Falkens ruled STX and the two
brands pretty much split STS in the top 10.  There's talk of a new tire from
one company or the other.  Unless you're willing to wait until January to tire
up, and it doesn't sound like you are....

FWIW the BFG is still good, just more expensive.  There is a new lowerpriced
line of BFGs coming out, I have to guess that they're taking out a little bit
of the performance too?   I can say that the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is
comparable with the Falken (Rus generally beat me by about the same margin ;)
with the proviso that my car managed to eat the tread off of one after only
3/4 of a season, however with substantially more weight and power than your
car delivers, and probably worse camber control.

PaulT        #35STX-SHO