Lightweight helmets?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Lightweight helmets?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:59:54 -0700
Lately I've been getting a sore neck after autocrosses.  I suspect it
could be partly due to having to support my helmet against the
cornering loads of a Miata on Hoosiers, so I'm looking for a lighter
helmet.

My preferences are:
   Light weight.

   Open face.  I wear glasses/sunglasses, and an open face helmet
   makes it easier to deal with the glasses.

   Not too tall.  You know that I'm not a tall guy, but I tend to sit
   upright for autocrossing and my helmet brushes the top on the Miata
   when I have it up for torrential rains

I stopped by Santa Clara Cycles and got completely ignored.  They only
seemed to have one open-face model anyway, and that's the one I
already own.  At Zoom Cycle Accessories, I talked to a helpful
salesman named John, who suggested an off-road motorcycle helmet, the
Arai MXC-Pro.  The visor and chin cover can be removed, leaving an
open-face helmet.  It's extremely light.  However, it costs almost
$400 and is a little on the tall side.

What do you recommend?

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson