Re: Possible new SFR Regional class

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Possible new SFR Regional class
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:24:42 -0700
On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:30:30AM -0400, Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:
> There would be no turbo/supercharged cars, no V-8's and the S2000 would be
> excluded.

I think that Peter's idea of permitting cars based on their stock (or
maybe street prepared) class is a good one.  Just excluding the S2000
leaves a lot of other AS/BS cars that would kick butt: the BMW M Coupe
and Roadster, 6 cyl Z3, Porsche 968/944S2, Boxster S, and 911, Lotus Europa,
Acura NSX...

I think that it would be easier to base inclusion on existing classifications
rather than trying to come up with a formula or exclusion list.  How
does San Diego limit the cars that can run in Improved Street?

This seems like it's not a lot different from running a street
prepared car in Street Tire class...there isn't a lot of difference
between the SP and STX rules besides STX requiring street legal
emissions, which are pretty much guaranteed anyway on a car running in
Street Tire.

However, a street-driven SP car is probably a lot farther from the
maximum prep level than a street-driven stock car, so an SP car
competing in the PAXed Street Tire class is really at a disadvantage.
The PAX index is based on cars that are prepared to the extent of the
rules.  Perhaps it would make sense to split the ST class into stock
and Street Prepared sub-classes.  Would that accomplish the same thing
as ST2?

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94