RE: F1...do NOT read if you haven't seen Brazil yet.

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: F1...do NOT read if you haven't seen Brazil yet.
From: "Carl Merritt" <CMerritt@luminous.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:01:57 -0700
Fisichella awarded Brazilian win!
Original results overturned [11/04/03 - 12:36]

Giancarlo Fisichella/Jordan

tewards of the Brazilian GP reconvened at the FIA HQ in Paris, France this
morning where, as expected, they overturned the original outcome of Sunday's
race, announcing Jordan driver Giancarlo Fisichella as the rightful winner.

Last weekend's race results came under review after the FIA "received evidence"
suggesting that there was an error in the timing and the Jordan driver had
started his 56th lap before the race was red-flagged, instead of his 55th as
previously thought.

The new result means the first ever win for Giancarlo and the fourth for
Jordan, and he was Italy's first GP winner since Riccardo Patrese in Japan for
Williams in 1992. Meanwhile the McLaren of Kimi Raikkonen has been demoted to
second. It also means that in the first three races of the 2003 season, we have
seen three different winners.

Under FIA rules, the final race positions in a red flag situation are those in
effect two laps before the lap on which the race was stopped. Raikkonen was
leading after the 53rd lap but the FIA confirmed Fisichella had already started
his 56th lap before the race was stopped. That meant the result had to be based
on positions at the end of the 54th lap when the Italian was leading Raikkonen
and Renault driver Fernando Alonso.

Team chief Eddie Jordan had prompted the FIA to order a review after sending
them details of Jordan's own timekeeping. This showed Fisichella had completed
one more lap than he had originally been credited for and on FIA's own
countback procedure it meant Fisichella and not Raikkonen was the winner. This
is the first time a Grand Prix result has been changed without a driver being
disqualified or receiving a time penalty.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/

-Carl