RE: Crows Landing Airfield Autox

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, "'Paul S (#51 STS)'" <ibisbike@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Crows Landing Airfield Autox
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:46:15 -0400

Message text written by Mark Smith

"
I was checking out that website earlier. I also notice the old "Vaca-Dixon"
airfield (in Vacaville just off I-80) which is no longer in use. It says
the
airfield closed in 1995 but the runways and hangars still remain (as of
2000). Would sites like that be suitable for autocross use?

Mark."

Last time I looked the "runway" was dirt.

It is right next door to the old Vaca Valley Raceway which the SF Region
looked at as a possible site for its race track. SFR went up to Willows and
built Thunderhill instead of
putting their track smack alongside I-80 between Sacramento and the Bay
Area.

There's more to the above but that's all I can confirm at this point.
Besides it's history and the land owner reportedly wants at least $12
million for the site. I saw sheep grazing over the property last time I
drove by.
        SFR staged its very first Solo II of the current regime in 1971 at
Vaca Valley Raceway.

--John Kelly

--John Kelly