Re: bmw != POS

To: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>,
Subject: Re: bmw != POS
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 01:46:42 -0700
Ed replies to someone's response to James' 740 test drive.

>>Go test drive a bunch of other cars with 115 inch wheelbases and 4250lbs
>>of weight to carry around and then tell us which one is "numb".
>
>I think the PAX results from my SS (where it has beaten more than a few
>"sporty" cars on a pretty consistent basis) show that not ALL sedans of that
>size are "numb" :^)
>
>BTW, I am at 116" wheelbase and approx 4500 lb race weight.   James, quit
>bitching about that SMALL 740 :^).
>
>Ed Runnion          Santa Clara CA
>mailto:Ed_Runnion@RegionOfDoom.com
>96 Chevy Impala SS, that is faster on most AutoX courses than my 02 Subaru
>WRX :^)

Only autocrossed my SS once, it was BIG. But, on the street it was very
responsive (in the dry). My wife's new Q45 is a lot more enjoyable to drive,
not as responsive handling but a lot more luxury, quieter, smmother and best
of all FASTER. Before buying the Q, I thought we'd like a GS430. It was more
agile than the Q and maybe a bit quicker but not as roomy (especially the
back seat and trunk) and was about the same price as the Q which is about as
big as the new 745.

I think I'd like a 745, but at 20K more than the GS or Q and 40-45K more
than the '96 SS its a case of how much money do you have to waste, er, I
mean spend on a grocery getter.

All-in-all, the SS was the best buy in a car We've ever had. paid $23.8K,
out the door (with $3K help from the GM card) and sold it, with 65K miles
four years later for $21.5K! And it was, did I say, BIG, about a foot and a
half longer than the Q and another 10" longer than the GS.

BTW, not surprisingly, all of these 4-doors are a lot, a whole lot, more
civalized to drive than the Vette.

        Don