RE: So what IS going to happen to the Miata in 2003?

To: "'John J. Stimson-III'" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Subject: RE: So what IS going to happen to the Miata in 2003?
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:55:02 -0700
The RX-8 is a cool car, but it has 4 doors and more weight than the
Miata. Since the primary benefit of a rotary engine is superior power to
weight ratio, it belongs in a light, nimble car. With a rotary powered
Miata, Mazda could really heat up Super Stock again at the Nationals
level.

I think the appeal of a rotary powered Corvette challenging Miata is
obvious. The appeal of the RX-8 is for a more "sedate" (and perhaps
larger) crowd.

So what if the price jumps by $5k? The Honda S2000 is selling for $36k
now. A super Miata would be the same price or less, lighter, with a
better P/W ratio.