Re: Huge Crowd for First Day of Open Testing at Karting Center

To: <Elmoizme@aol.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Huge Crowd for First Day of Open Testing at Karting Center
From: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:23:58 -0800
on 4/1/02 18:34, Elmoizme@aol.com at Elmoizme@aol.com wrote:

> Is the new kart course big enough to autocross on?

MY understanding is that while the dimensions would work, the decision was
made up front- no cars. Thus the underlayment for the asphalt is not of the
design specification to withstand the high torque loads of our smack
talkers. (I mean their cars) :-)
MJ
or so I was told

> Elton
> SM #68
> From: drose@searspoint.com
> Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:45:47 +1600
> Subject: Huge Crowd for First Day of Open Testing at  Karting Center
> To: Elmoizme@aol.com
>
> SONOMA, Calif. - The Sears Point Karting Center opened its doors on Monday for
> its first-ever test day, and the Center was given a big thumbs up by all in
> attendance.
>
> More than 100 people made the trip to Sears Point Raceway for the
> much-anticipated first laps around the 16-turn, three-quarter mile circuit.
> Racers came from as close as San Anselmo in the North Bay, and as far as
> Shingle Springs above Sacramento.
>
> "This is just a great overall track," said Andrew Alfonso, a 19-year-old
> Danville resident who is also a past national karting champion. "I've been to
> about 40 tracks across the country and this place ranks No. 1 in terms of the
> layout. This place exceeded my expectations."
>
> Jimmy Moon, a 9-year-old from Shingle Springs, has been racing karts for four
> years and has not seen a place like Sears Point.
>
> "This place has long straightaways and it's pretty technical, too," he said.
> "There are also places to pass at every turn. It's a pretty cool track."
>
> The track is 28-feet wide and can be divided into six different
> configurations. Some of the track highlights include an 850-foot sweeping
> straightaway, and another 450-foot sweeping straightaway that leads into a
> challenging combination of turns. The Center will also feature a scoreboard,
> two transponder-timing systems and bleachers, as well as a kart maintenance
> and storage center. The track, which was designed in part by Jim Russell
> International Karting, was built to CIK/FIA standards. The Jim Russell School
> is the  track operator.
>
> "Today's turnout was beyond anything we could have imagined," said Ken Ude,
> president of the Jim Russell School. "We thought maybe 30 people would come
> out today but I bet there's more than 100, and they've had nothing but good
> things to say."
>
> Jon Fennell, 48, sold his Ducati motorcycle and Saleen street car to purchase
> a kart and tow truck. He was running laps on Monday at Sears Point.
>
> "I've been on a couple of different tracks and this is the premier circuit,"
> said Fennell, from San Anselmo. "It's fast, challenging and fun. It's a blast
> watching karting kind of take over the Bay Area."
>
> The Sears Point Karting Center will feature its first weekend of open testing
> April 6-7 from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Cost is $45 per day for open testing, or $450 per
> year. For more information, visit www.russellracing.com.

> To remove yourself from this system, please follow the link below:

http://searspoint.com/forms/optout.asp?dbname=searspoint&email=Elmoizme@aol.
co> m