Re: AutoX vs. Road Racing

To: Sethracer@aol.com
Subject: Re: AutoX vs. Road Racing
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:38:03 EST
from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

                    Seth,
                        After autocrossing for 20 some odd years I've
transitioned to road racing. The two are not comparible. Road
racing is much more physically draining than any autocross.
After twenty minutes in a fire suit, balaclava, gloves and shoes
strapped in a racing seat running flat out at Thunderhill on a
100+ degree day you'll under stand the meaning of dehydration.
Dehydration effects your mental acuity so you have to really be
mentally alert. Your traveling 100mph with a car in front of you,
behind you or next to you. There is no room for error. In Solo II
if you spin you take out a few cones. In road racing if you spin
you can take out yourself, others and a $100,000 dollars worth
of machinery. Believe me with the cost of road racing what it is
I have met no knuckle draggers. They couldn't afford it. Yes you
work up to speed as your tires and brake warm up. But once
your at speed if your going fast your pushing the limit the whole
time your on the course. Having made a mistake or been forced
off course I've taken a few 100 mph trips into the sage brush. It
happens so fast you don't realize it happened until after its over.
If your not in the mud you put it in gear and get back on course.
Solo II and road racing are truely different. They are not directly
comparible. I can say this. Someone with Solo II experience
can transition to road racing much faster than someone who
has never autocrossed. You just have to break some Solo II
habits. Enough said. FWIW.

                                                                   Larry

In a message dated 12/20/01 7:33:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,