Re: 2500 lb Miata?

To: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2500 lb Miata?
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:39:23 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@RegionOfDoom.com>
To: "'Scot Zediker '" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>; <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 3:38 PM

> >Where does one find a 2500lb Miata?  Mine doesn't weigh that much unless
> >I'm carrying a passenger and a full tank of gas.  And a week's worth of
> >groceries.
>
> Going off the Mazda website (and a blind guess), I now realize that a 2500
> lb 2002 Miata 6 spd is gonna have one VERY skinny driver :^)
>
> According to Mazda, here are the weights in lbs :
>
>   2387 (5 Spd)
>   2429 (Auto......who buys a Miata with an Automatic?!?!?!?)
>   2447 (6 Spd)
>
> Interesting that the 6 speed car weighs 60 lbs more....guessing there are
> some other "mandatory options" that come with that?

It does come with a lot of other options, few of which you'd want for an
autocross car.  The 6-speed is, AFAIK, only available with the LS package.
Besides, I'm not totally convinced the 6-speed is an advantage in an
autocross Miata anyway.

I think those figures might be Mazda's "curb weight" figures, which probably
include the spare tire, tools, and a higher fuel load than I would use for
autoxing.  Mine was listed at around 2200, but in autocross trim it
currently weighs in at around 2100 and I could easily get it down to 2070 if
I were so inclined (my trailer hitch adds about 15lb all by itself).

> Of course, I suspect (like most car models) the Miata has had some "weight
> creep" over the years, with an upward trend.

There has been.

> Ed R, approx 2500 lbs on the front axle of my car :^)

Hehehe.

Scot

We make attorneys affordable.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/szediker