The Ring - Video clip

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Ring - Video clip
From: Sethracer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:38:19 EDT
I had the pleasure of watching the 1976 German Grand Prix live at the track.
That was the last GP run at the old Ring. The 13 plus miles made for terrific
racing, as the clip shows, but not the best spectating, you only saw the cars
15-20 times. The biggest problem was the spread out track made fire-rescue very
tough. Niki Lauda crashed hard in that 1976 race, and it took minutes for the
fire crew to get him out of a gasoline fire. His looks were forever changed
from that incident. Another driver, I believe, actually stopped and helped pull
him out. I'm sure someone will remember the other drivers name. It is actually
a wonder that Lauda ever raced again. That was the listed reason for
discontinuing that track as the German GP host. A newer, shorter, Nurburgring
and Hockenheim, I believe share the GP now. I still remember watching the
six-wheel Tyrells! - Seth Emerson