Re: Any first timers going to Nationals?

To: navid@interwoven.com
Subject: Re: Any first timers going to Nationals?
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:04:29 -0700
The trip to Sacto this last weekend was a great way to get familiar with
how things are done at Topeka, as well as the San Diego Tour. Both qualify
you to run the national event. If you didn't make either one of these two
events, and want to go "try on" Topeka, you can get a waiver (cost, I'm not
sure, maybe $50, which is less expensive than entering either of the two
aforementioned events, btw).
    So, you can still go. Remember, deep down, it's just another autocross,
and the folks you'll meet are just like you, enjoying a crazy sport that no
one cept us has heard about. The most intimidating thing about the event is
getting there. You will meet a lot of them.
    Make sure your car/tow vehicle is in tip top shape, because there is no
way to avoid mountains, deserts, and seemingly very empty wide opens spaces
with no filling stations. OTH, it's great scenery, no matter which way you
go.
    Plan on 3 days going and coming, though we usually take 3.5 going and 3
coming home (you go through a couple of time zones). Some crazies do it in
far less time, but they go straight through, or nearly. Depends on how much
sleep you need to survive!
    There are several routes to take, and I'm sure many have favorites
(north? south?)
    There are some who have favorite motels...maybe some experienced folks
could list the least and most favorite motels, or camping areas.
    One thing to remember, the site is huge, so bring your chairs/bikes,
etc.
--Pat Kelly