Re: Saturday, July 1 dropped

To: Chris Tweney <cat@pobox.com>,
Subject: Re: Saturday, July 1 dropped
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 22:03:28 -0700
Chris Tweney wrote (in part):

>What's the surface there like?
>Don McKenna, do you have your amazing tire wear data for the
>Albany lot, too?

I believe we last ran at the Golden Gate Fields north parking lot around
'91. In those days I wasn't keeping good data on tire wear, for each site,
but only total run time on each set. However, at that time the lot was
"seasoned" asphalt and was pretty easy on tires. In the nearly ten years
that have passed, the surface is almost certainly different than when we
last ran. Whether its the same surface, or has been re-done in some way,
we'll have to run it (with today's generation of "R" tires) to get a
relative idea of wear compared with other sites.

The extreems of the asphalt surfaces we currently run on in Northern
California range fron the least wear being McClellan asphalt, through Laguna
paddock, to Stockton and finally the most wear being 3-Com. 3-Com wear is
two to three times greater than McClellan asphalt! As far as cement surfaces
go Mather has a wear rate greater than McClellan asphalt but less than
Stockton and McClellan or Castle cement are one and a half to two times the
wear of 3-Com.

        Don