NASA autox school reflections - threshold braking on every turn 8)

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, miata@realbig.com
Subject: NASA autox school reflections - threshold braking on every turn 8)
From: Nandaholz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:10:31 EST
We all had a great time between the intermittent rain showers yesturday. The
shower allows us to play with the limits of our traction a little more than
usual, which I prefer cus you go half the speed and get twice the slide. Mr
Phil Esra had the chore of breaking some bad habits and starting some good
ones, and was a fine instructor indeed. M biggest problem is that I never
break enough for approaching corners, and end up bull wrestling the car on
the exit and the next 30' or so. Phil kept pressing the point of slow in fast
out, which i believe and thought i was doing until this point. We worked on
breaking hard at the end of the straights and rolling in and getting back on
the gas harder and harder. It took me awhile to make my brain believe that
this was actually going to work, but in the end made the difference. Rather
than understeering to the outside edge of the course on exit, Phil had me
powering on before (up to a car length at times) diving into the apex which
kept the car balanced and the back end planted. We did stiffen up the front
Konis progressively up to full stiff as the day went on, and the back of the
UFO stayed more inline with the front, rather then water skiing around to the
outside. On one session we took out all the apex cones and ran them over
again even it the weren't back in position, just to really feel the width of
the car and know when your actually as tight as you can be. Once I got more
comfortable and aggressive with HARD braking (locking up the fronts for a
milli-second) before rolling into the corner, our exit speeds steadily
increased.

Easily the second best $40 ever spent, the first being last years Nasa
school. Thanks you sensay Esra, Danielson will now go and Wax on Wax off the
UFO for the next event. And of course thank you Denise and Peggy for
coordinating with the weather gods (kk) and heightening the autox experince
while keeping up relatively dry. Also want'd to thank my mamma...booo hoo
hooo....and mazda for building sucha bitchin car...yeeehaaa

~Nanda Holz and UFO
Blackn'tan 92' Special Edition 124k smiles
Walnut Creek, CA
CSP-r #836
Team M Road, Dealer Alt, Roebuck, Serious Auto, Racing Beat, Brainstorm,
HardDog, RedLine Synthetics, YaLearnMoreOnStreetTires
Clubs - MCA, BAMA, VROOM, SCCA
...work like you don't need the $...dance like nobody is watchin...and make
luv like there is no tomorrow...oh yeah, and drive like your arse is on fire
;)
"If you can't drive 90hp fast, 900 ain't gonna help either."  Bob Hall