A Saturn question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: A Saturn question
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 20:27:21 -0400
Here is one for you Saturn enthusiasts,

My daughter dropped off her 1995 SL-1  (1.9 litre, single cam, automatic,
almost 140,000 miles) saying that it just wasn't running right.

I pulled one spark plug and could see why. There wasn't much electrode left.

So I threw in a bottle of gas treatment, bought new plugs, new wires, a new
air cleaner and a new fuel filter and spent the afternoon screwing
everything in place.  God I love Saturn fuel fiters. I hope I get to meet
the engineer who designed that abortion before I die, so I can choke him
proper!

Sitting in the driveway, the thing would rev smoothly to 4,000 RPM and then
fall on its face like the engine was hitting a soft rev limiter. It also
started spewing large clouds of smoke out the tail pipe. I checked and #3
plug was black, like it was in a very rich condition.

I did a compression test and everything was OK. All cylinders within 10 lbs
of each other. So that would rule out a bad valve.  I checked the computer
for codes, and there were none stored.

I thought one of the new plugs or wires could be bad, so I swapped in old
ones.  No change.

I decided to actually drive the car before I went further and ripped into
more things.  Out on the road, floor the gas and the car will rev right up
to 5,000 RPM, shift and continue to pull without a hitch. Driveability is
fine.  And...after flogging it for awhile the smoke went away, although in
neutral it still hammers against a stop at 4,000 RPM's.

Does anybody have any ideas what is going on here?   An injector maybe? One
of the coil packs going duff?  A case of the vapors in the computer?  I'm
afraid I'm into the black arts now.

I think I'd much rather fool with SU carbs and Lucas distributors.

Larry Steckel